Sunday, October 29, 2006

Drop off day 10/29/06


Monterey
Acrylic on 18" X 36" canvas

Today I took the drive to New Bedford to drop off my nine paintings (decided to leave one home) for the juried Holiday Exhibition at Artworks Gallery. I had never been to the town before, and was delighted by the cobblestone street that the gallery is on. I love the old seaport towns of New England - nothing like them. The gallery space is large and beautiful, and I'm just so looking forward to the opening night!

I titled this piece "Monterey" because my husband said it reminded him of the scenes of kelp at the Monterey Aquarium. There was a PBS special we watched about it. I was lucky enough to go there a few years ago, (ah, how about ten?) and I hope to take him to see it someday too. The idea kind of stuck with me, and I also thought about the crispness in the California air - the purity of sea and sky - it went with the feeling I was getting from the painting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I appreciate you visiting my blog as well. I just finished writing a post about art in videogames. If you are interested in my little ponderings, I would really love to hear your thoughts, especially your point of view on the subject of essential points and message in art in general.

And relating to your post, I have always wondered if the smaller towns in New England are like they are portrayed in the horror movies. Is there actually any of those architecturally old small towns on the edge of a seacliff? If there are, I bet there is no mystical mist present 24/7 whatsoever. Altho' that would be proper when talking about New _England_. :)

Meghan Henley said...

So... you really like this Etsy, right? I was thinking of giving it a whirl when my new stuff comes out of the show this Saturday. I haven't had luck with Ebay in a while. Truthfully I haven't had much in my store...

Anonymous said...

I like the hubbies title suggestions........Makes me feel like a mermaid!

Nina Kuriloff said...

Very evocative!