Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sun Kissed Day


Sun Kissed Day, originally uploaded by jtorrant.

Click HERE to see this painting on Etsy

This is cool! I just figured out how to blog my pictures from flickr! (Ok, if someone doesn't know about computers they will think I just spoke jibberish). I feel a little behind in discovering both Etsy and now flickr, but I'm eager to continue using this system. It's much easier and I can load clearer, larger images here (blogger times out on me when loading big files).

For artists unfamiliar with flickr, go check it out at www.flickr.com - you get a large amount of space for free every month to store your images, and there are a lot of other artists on there sharing their work, including links to their sites and on-line stores.

It's amazing to me that this whole world of art online has changed so much in the last 7 years (when I took my first steps in the "world wide web"), and it's still evolving, and will continue to - you can really feel the flow of change around you. New sites emerge, new techniques, new codes and programs, etc. that can dramatically alter how an artist not only does business, but perhaps CREATES his or her art! I was talking about this with Paula Manning-Lewis and it's thrilling that she and I and so many others can do most of our business from our homes, located anywhere one can get internet access. Paula and I seem very similar in our desires for "the little cabin in the woods" fantasy vs. the city life. One hundred years ago, we wouldn't be able to make a living selling our art living anywhere BUT a creative center/city. On another note, it is unlikely that we would have the option as women to pursue our passion for painting. For these reasons and so many more, I feel very lucky to be alive right now, making art, and sharing it, right now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work! Thanks for the inspiration!! The internet has made the art world seem a little bit closer!!! namaste Elis.

Caroline said...

Jessica, thanks for visiting me - I love your paintings! And I too yearn for the little cabin in the woods - shame I'm still living in a city... sigh... but yes lucky to be alive right NOW!

Paula Manning-Lewis said...

Thanks for the link to my blog Jess!
I'm still stalling on checking out flickr, don't know why.

It is a great time in history to be a woman artist! Of course, I'm the kind of woman that would have been an artist 100 years ago anyway, I don't care what anyone says!

Cynthia said...

I love this color combination and the compostition of this painting! Flickr is great! I just ran out of room though and will have to upgrade to a pro account to have all my photos visible.

I agree, the art world is changing because of computers and the internet. It's a wonderful thing!

Paula Manning-Lewis said...

BTW, LOVE this painting, but I love all your paintings! :)